Some helpful tips to blood donors esp if you are donating blood the first time:
- Have a good meal ( preferably avoid high fat ) and plenty of liquids ( at least 500 ml ) before donating blood.
- Donot consume alcohol within 24 hours prior to blood donation.
- Wear comfortable clothing, avoid very tight wear.
- After you're done, drink lots of fruit juices and eat a light snack with a high sugar content to get that blood sugar back up.
- Rest in the medical center for a few minutes enjoying your snack before leaving, especially if you are feeling lightheaded or faint.
- Please do not drive yourself back.
- Drink a lot of water, and keep lunch / dinner after donating blood rich in proteins. These things help your body making fresh blood for you soon.
Dr Tiju Thomas